10 last things.(blog marathon post 15)
Every evening, we have a little ritual. I light the brass lamp that hangs from the roof in front of the altar, and then as I ring a small bell, lighting incense and sometimes camphor, I move it circles around the deity--in other words, perform an 'aarati'. Then my children and I sit down and say the prayers, which consist of several sanskrit shlokas. After that we annoit our foreheads with sandal paste or 'Vibhuti' or 'Bhasmam' (holy ash).
Today as I was lighting the lamp, my daughter asked if she could ask me a question. I expected the question to be a simple thing like whether she could watch TV. Instead she said " Mom, I don't want it to happen ever, but a thought struck me. if you were to die in the next three days, what 10 things would you do?"
The question took me by complete surprise. I asked her why she had asked that and she said she doesn't know.
So I told her that it was an excellent question, and I would write a blog post on it.
In her typical way, she said "But you have to give me credit." I told her I would.
So to keep my promise to her, here are ten things I would do, if I were to die in the next three days.
1. Write a will. I would do it immediately. I am very practical that way.
2. Write a long long hand-written letter to Satish and my two children. I would recall our happiest memories and all that they mean to me, and how much I value them. I would also tell them to not weep for me when I am gone, and to cherish instead the warmth of our love. I would tell them to enjoy each and every day, because life is so unpredicatble.
3. I would repeat the same exercise as above for my closest friends. I would then ask satish to post the letters only when I am gone.
4. I would send an e-mail to Satish with the password of my e-mail accounts, my Facebook page and every other page online. (He already knows them, but he may not remember, hence the mail). He can close them if something were to happen to me.
5.I would take a ten million photos with my family and closest friends. I would dress up well in each photo and look gorgeous :)
6. I would quickly watch the movies that i have been meaning to watch. (yes I would! Once I die, I might miss it :) )
7.I will ask everyone who means something to me, to come home and I would hug them tight and tell them that I love them very much. The reason I would do this is that time would be wasted if I trvael to where they lived.
8.I will make my children promise me that they will be around Lostris (my doberman) after I am gone. She would never understand. (The thought of Hachiko breaks my heart)
9. I will definitely write a book in a day. I would write and write and write and write and write. The book is sure to be a best-seller as it would be the last book written, knowing i was going to die.
10.I would after all the above, feel a sense of peace. I would probably drink a lot, go dancing and then say a final good-bye smiling.
Buy my latest book at a whopping discount http://www.preetishenoy.com/books/the-one-you-cannot-have/buy-now/